Monday 14 September 2009

DONE IT

So, here I am, sat at home in the UK, after an incredibly emotional couple of days. Saturday started well and we flew the first 28 or so miles through to lunch, past a water stop en route. Lunch was taken by a river and a coupl eof scamps thought it would be funny to go for a swim - oooooh the chaffing I thought! After lunch it was to be a 'leisurely ride' into Pairs, leisurely if the Parisien drivers weren't all nutters...at least three or four times our group of five was nearly hit by people over taking or coming in from a side street. Still, we made it through all Paris had to offer to the park where we all met up at about 3pm. The over-riding feeling was one of real achievement and the emotion really took me. I sat on a grass bank, spent, and wept, really wept. The pain of the last few days and the scale of what I had achieved was sinking in, and at that moment I felt my Dad would be so proud and I couldn't stop the tears...

After a few mins of quiet relection someone snapped me out of it by suggesting we had an ice-cream (!) and from the park we waited for a couple of stragglers to arrive (one had a pedal fall off!!) and we went en masse to the Eiffel Tower. It was am amaing feeling to head to the Arc de Triomphe roundabout, and head down the Champs Elysees, traffic blocked, horns tooting, people cheering. What a terrific feeling, my melancholy refelctive mood had been replaced by one of great elation. We rode past the Eiffel Tower and there I saw Jen, Pat, Lizzie, Richard, Lynn, and of course, B; she saw me and waved excitedly - the look on her face made the whole trip worth while (more tears!)....a short trip on and we arrived at the base of the Eiffel Tower, where a chilled bottle of Veuve Cliquot awaited...! Never has a glass of champagne tasted so good. A few photos later and the short ride to the hotel to begin the celebrations...since then we've been up the Eiffel Tower (or Big Pylon as B refers to it) and headed home on Eurostar....

I have to say without a few people the last few days would have been impossible. Sunil, my biking buddy, waiting for me when I was slow and paced me when I had energy in my legs. He is a great bloke and his patience was a God-send. Martin, my room-mate was a top bloke, considered, thoughtful and wanted to go to sleep early...fantastic - just what I wanted in a room-mate. The food was great (I have put on 3 pounds - must be muscle :) ) and the organisation was nearly faultless by Discover Adventure. Finally without the support of my family, Jen in particular, nagging me to go out training I would never of done this and to them I am truely grateful.

What next? I am thinking trek, and I quite fancy Everest base camp or Kilimanjiro....never say never!

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog gathered information about the various disneyland paris resorts if you are looking for best resort in disneyland then disneyland paris resort have special provision for it.

    ReplyDelete